Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cream of ______ Mix

I LOVE this mix SOOOOO Much. It is so nice to just whip up a batch to use with whatever recipe I'm making that I'd normally use a can of something for. (Also, if you're opposed to Corn products, you can use flour instead, it may just clump a little.)

Cream of...MIX

2 cups powdered milk
1 cup cornstarch
3 tbsp chicken bullion powder
2 tbbs dried minced onion
1/4 tsp pepper

Mix Together and Store in a Mason Jar in the Pantry.

When you want your cream of..., just add:


1/3 cup of mix
1 1/4 cup water or milk
1 Cup _____ (Celery, Mushrooms, Potato, Cooked Chicken...whatever you want your Cream of... to be!)

Bring to a boil on the stove and stir until thick. This is equivalent to a can of Campbell's Condensed Cream of ______ soup.

Another tip: I don't always have milk on hand at our house, so I started buying Rice Milk for our food storage, because it keeps on the shelf. With this recipe, there is no recognizable difference when using rice milk.

4 comments:

Jolene said...

I am excited to try this. I have been making a lot of thing from scratch the last few years. Cream soups were something I have wondered about making from scratch but never looked into it, because I thought it would be a big production to do. This looks so simple. Thanks again, I am so so so excited about this.

Heather said...

thanks for posting this janey. i'm excited to try it. looks great for food storage too.

Amy D. said...

Yeah, great idea, Jane. And the rice milk sounds good to try!

Julie said...

Thanks Jane! I've tried another recipe but didn't like it. Yippee! I am going to have this as a staple at our house! Love you