Mozzarella Stuffed Meatball Hoagies
I know you are all probably shocked that I am posting a recipe that does not involve any amount of sugar or chocolate. I got this recipe from Picky Palate and is simply divine. Matt and I sounded like Bob - mmm, mmm, mmm (you are going to have to imagine the sound effects yourselves).
1 lb ground beef
2 Tablespoons milk
½ Cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
½ Cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon dried basil
12-15 1 inch mozzarella balls (marinated in olive oil)
1 26oz jar favorite pasta sauce, or homemade sauce
4-6 Garlic Ciabatta Rolls, or other rolls of choice, cut in half
4 sliced provolone cheese, each cut into halves
1. Preheat oven to 350. Place beef, egg, milk, hot sauce, bread crumbs, parmesan, salt, pepper, oregano and basil in a large bowl. With hands or large spoon, mix until well combined.
2. Scoop about ¼ Cup meat mixture in hands; press 1 mozzarella ball into middle of meat and form a ball around the cheese. Do this until all meat and cheese is used up; makes about 12-15 large meatballs.
3. Place all meatballs into a 9x13 inch baking dish that has ¼ Cup olive oil spread into bottom. Bake for 20 minutes; flip all meatballs. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
4. Place pasta sauce into a large pot. Place cooked meatballs in sauce. Simmer on low heat.
5. Place ½ slice of provolone onto the cut sides of rolls. Place onto tin foil or baking sheet and broil in oven for 1-2 minutes or until rolls are toasted and cheese is melted.
6. Place 3-4 meatballs onto bottom halves of toasted rolls. Spoon pasta sauce over meatballs and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Close with top roll and serve warm.