Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hearty Black Bean Soup

It was cold and blustery today here in Phoenix (o.k 58* and windy, but that is cold to us) and soup sounded good.  I got this recipe from a Taste of Home cookbook.  I was a little skeptical while it was cooking, but it ended up being very tasty and was perfect for the day.  For my family I essentially halved this recipe.

Hearty Black Bean Soup
3 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (30 oz.) black beans
2 cans (14 1/2 oz.) chicken broth
1 can (15 oz.) crushes tomatoes ( I used diced)
1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (I left this out)

Combine ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until vegetables are tender.  


Optional: If you have left over meat - smoked sausage, browned ground beef or roast you can toss it in for the last 30 minutes of cooking.  You can also serve over hot rice.

I didn't serve over rice because I wanted soup but I did cook up an Italian sausage and threw it in there for the last 30 minutes.  It really was good and the kids ate it up.  Unfortunately the bread didn't come out of the oven until an hour after we ate, but it was still good with crackers.

No comments: