This "Casserole" is really very much like a dessert but has squash in it. So you could call it a veggie. :) My friend made it for our dinner group and it was so yummy we all had seconds. She said they have this instead of candied yams for Thanksgiving. I hope you like it.
- Flesh of 1 cooked butternut squash – about 3 c.
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts (pecans preferred)
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- Combine topping ingredients and set aside.
- Blend all ingredients (except topping) in a blender or food processor.
- Pour into a greased 9x13” pan.
- Bake at 400 F for about 20 minutes, then sprinkle topping over all and return to oven.
- Bake another 10-20 minutes, or until casserole is set.