Friday, June 29, 2012

Quinoa and Black Beans

 I made this tonight, found it on all recipes.  It was so good, Andy said "this stuff is amazing".  We both ate more of this and didn't even bother with the rest of our chicken.

My variations (not big): I did not use the cilantro,  I used homemade chicken stock instead of vegetable broth and I added a tsp of caldo de tomate which I guess would be tomato bullion and it is  found in the mexican food isles.  This would NOT be necessary, but I liked the flavor it added.  I also used canned corn as I didn't have any frozen.

 Quinoa and Black Beans

  Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
  • 1(15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained  (original did call for 2, but I just did 1 and liked the ratio)
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

source Allrecipes


No comments: