Sunday, July 19, 2009

Stuffed Bell Peppers

My friend Belle had recommended this idea to me years ago, but it wasn't until today that I decided to try for myself! It was so easy and super tasty!! I took ideas from a couple recipes, so I'll just explain pretty much what I did...

4 Bell Peppers (I used Yellow, but any color works!)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil

Cut the Tops of the peppers off, then gut and rinse out to get rid of all the seeds (with kids you could cut the peppers down the middle and turn them on their side to "stuff" so they're more shallow and easier to eat). Brush the outsides with Olive Oil. Line up on Baking Sheet or Baking Pan (I used a pan so the excess wouldn't topple off.)

1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 Medium Onion, Chopped finely
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Tbsp Oil
Basil
Red Pepper Flakes
Salt & Pepper
Chili Powder
Onion Powder
1 Fresh Tomato, chopped. (this is what i used, but a few recipes called for canned diced tomatoes and tomato paste...I think this would make it too saucy though...)

Slices of Cheddar, Mozzarella, Provolone, or Munster Cheese

Brown the onions and garlic in the oil, then add the ground beef and spices and brown. At the very end add the fresh diced tomato and toss together.

Put the beef mixture into the bell peppers, stuffing so it's full. Place a slice of cheese on top of each pepper.

Bake at 400 Degrees in the Oven for 20 Minutes, or until cheese is melty and bubbly brown.

Let cool for at least 5 minutes before eating!

(Alternatively, you can put the empty peppers in the oven for 5 minutes before you stuff them. I just didn't because I forgot and only 1/2 the recipes called for it)

Happy Eating!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I remember eating Stuffed Peppers at Grandma and Grandpa Nelsons house once when I went to visit. As a small child, of course, I didn't think they were very tasty. Grandpa told me about all the starving children around the world which didn't seem to help me want to eat more, but hopefully I tried. I think now I would really enjoy this recipe though. I'll have to try it!

Heather said...

by the way, does anyone know the difference in the flavors of peppers?? Most of the time we just get green but i don't eat many red or yellow so I'm not sure how the flavor is different.

Janey said...

I found the following description, based on a blind taste test:
"No one guessed all of the colors correctly, but the differences in taste were dramatic. The favorite colors turned out to be red and orange; without exhibiting much of a pungent pepper flavor, both were pleasantly sweet. The yellow pepper, with its mildly sweet and slightly tannic flavor, was also well liked. The green pepper, the most easily recognized, was universally disliked for its unripe bitterness. The absolute worst entry, however, was the thin-skinned purple pepper. Its slimy texture and singularly unpleasant flavor elicited comments such as, "Did I just eat a slug?"

"As it turned out, these comments weren't far off the mark. As a bell pepper ripens, it turns from green to yellow, orange, or red, depending on the variety. These bright peppers are sweeter simply because they are ripe, whereas the bitter green pepper is unripe. Purple peppers, too, are harvested when immature and would turn an uncommonly dark green if allowed to ripen fully. So unless you're fond of the tannic bitterness of the common green and the purple varieties, we suggest sticking with yellow, orange, or red."

Amy D. said...

We made these...super yummy! The kids just couldn't handle them, though, at all! Trevor wasn't here, and I think he would try them--he loves fajitas.