Thursday, August 26, 2010

Homemade Tomato Soup

I'm in love... with this soup!!

Homemade Tomato Soup

2 cans (14 oz) chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 stalk celery, diced (I didn't have any celery, so mine went without and was still awesome)
1 small carrot, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 TBSP butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil and roast until caramelized, about 15 min. (I would line the bottom with aluminum foil or else it will be a bugger to clean off - trust me :)

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add celery, carrot, onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 10 min. Add the roasted tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until veggies are very tender, about 15-20 min. Add basil and cream. Puree with a hand held immersion blender until smooth. (I don't have one of these, so I use my blender - works great and it makes it easy to pour into bowls!!)

No comments: