Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Attention Chocolate Lovers

This isn't a recipe but I thought is would be a good place to post about this. I hear about it from my friend Beth's blog, and since our family has quite a sweet tooth for chocolate, I wanted you to know about this.

"The US Food and Drug Administration is considering redefining 'chocolate' to allow substitution of vegetable oil ($0.70/lb.) for cocoa butter ($2.30/lb.), and whey protein for dry whole milk. There are already standard terms to differentiate these products from chocolate, such as 'chocolatey' and 'chocolate-flavored.' The change was requested by the industry group Chocolate Manufacturers of America. Leading the resistance to this change is high-end chocolate maker Guittard, with significant grass-roots support from the Candyblog. The FDA is taking consumer comments until April 25. Here is the FDA page on the proposed change, which oddly enough does not say what the proposed change is." (from an article found on Slashdot)

I just posted my comment and they have extended the date to May 25. If you are interested in sending the FDA your comment the chocolate maker Guittard has a sight Dontmesswithourchocolate.guittard.com
Then go to the How To Help tab. And it will walk you through the whole process and they have a comment you can cut and paste. It so easy. So get to it you chocolate lovers. Save our chocolate.



1 comment:

Amy D. said...

My voice has been heard. Do not try to call that fake stuff chocolate! Well, I said more than that, but that was the gist of it.